Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Witch Child by Celia Rees

I can't believe it's been this long since I  posted. Sick kids and the beginning of the holidays make time fly by in a lovely stressful way. I haven't posted lately, but I have been reading so watch for a lot of reviews coming soon!

Four Stars

Mary left England at 14, after her adopted grandmother was executed as a witch, knowing the suspicion would soon fall upon her, because it’s true. She finds a new life with a group of Puritans in America and works hard to hide what she is. But suspicions and tensions run even higher in the strict life of the Puritans and whispered rumors are soon swirling threatening to destroy Mary all over again.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s very Witch of Blackbird Pond as the story of a young girl in a Puritan community who is accused of being a witch. Only in this case, it’s true. It’s written as Mary’s journal and jumps a bit, but still manages to flow and moves along at a good pace. I instantly liked Mary and grew to love some and hate others along with her. I also really like the cover. I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by that but sometimes, after reading a book, a well-chosen cover can take on a power of its own.

Another interesting twist is the book begins with a forward explaining that the following story was discovered sewn into a quilt from the early American colonies, and asks anyone with more information on the people mentioned to contact the researcher in charge of the project. It even lists an email address. This blurs the line between fiction and reality and adds an interesting level to the story.

As I think about this book I keep comparing it to Blackbird Pond, kind of can’t help it. They are essentially the same story, but so different at the same time. Mary’s story is more about her life as a whole, the accusations are just a small part. This story also ends much differently.

My cousin, Kim, sent me this book, along with its sequel Sorceress, and it was an awesome recommendation.  

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, Ali: I loved this book! I'm so glad you did, too. Sorceress is...different, but it's nice to hear more of Mary's story. Let us know what you think of it, as well!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali: Well done on the Book Blog - I have done much the same thing.
    Enjoyed reading yours.

    - Matt Larsen

    ReplyDelete